Paddle Board Electric Pumps – Our Top 5
Whether you’re new to paddle boarding or an old hand at it, you definitely know that inflating your iSUP can be pretty demanding. If your also not particularly fit, hitting the desired PSI with your hand pump can be a genuine workout itself so any added advantages here are of course a nice little win.
The vast majority of SUP packages will come with that manufacturers standard hand pump. Portable, convenient and typically easy to use, if you’re looking for a nice heart racing 10 minute pre-paddling work-out then read no more. If you are however keen on learning a little more about some great electric pump options that will make your life a lot easier then here are our Top 5 Picks.
<< Looking to buy your first SUP? The Atoll 11’ iSUP may just be for you >>
What to look for in an Electric Pump
Unless budget is your key consideration and remembering the old adage that ‘you get what you pay for’, then you will also want to give some thought to the features that your electric pump has.
? is it sufficiently portable in both weight and size? Lugging around an oversize pump that is bulky or takes up too much room isn’t ideal so make sure that you go for a light-weight option and preferably one that comes with a carry bag to store any cables or inclusions.
? having a high quality pressure gauge that accurately measures the PSI is particularly important. Manufacturers provide recommended inflation limits or ranges of inflation so taking the guess work out and pre-setting the desired inflation limit will make for a better paddling experience. It will also ensure that you do not damage your board or put any undue pressure on the inflation valve.
? pumps that both inflate and deflate are also quite useful. Instead of spending the time to manually roll and fold your board trying to get all of the air out, the deflation function will do the job for you and make sure ALL of the air is out before you pack your board.
? the pumps power source is another consideration. Ideally you want to be able to inflate your board in a remote location so selecting a pump that can inflate via your cars battery or cigarette lighter or on selected models an internal rechargeable battery will likely be a must have for you.
? as paddle boards do not have universal valves, its important that you buy a pump that has multiple optional valves or a compatible valve that matches your board. Multiple valves will also offer versatility so you can use the pump for other inflatable products.
? a shut off function is another important feature as this will ensure that your pump does not overheat or you do not over inflate your board. Dialling in or pre-setting the desired inflation limit will provide you with peace of mind so you can go about your business.
? other features including overheating protection, sufficiently long cables and hoses for efficiency, a sand filter to protect the pump, storage or carry bags and fast inflation times are also key benefits that you should take on board.
<< Looking to Buy a SUP? Find out How Much Paddle Boards Cost >>
Our Top 5 Picks
Seamax SUP20D Dual Stage Electric Air Pump
Whilst we are not listing these pump reviews in order of our preference, the Seamax SUP20D is certainly a quality product and is packed with features so is hard to overlook.
- dual stage inflation
- maximum pressure 20 PSI in increments of 0.5 PSI
- backlit LED digital controller display
- fast inflation and deflation
- built-in sand filter for air intake & pump cooling system
- real time pressure monitoring with auto stop
- internal voltage and temperature sensors
- out take chamber for noise reduction
- multiple O rings and valve connectors
- connects to 12V cigarette lighter or car battery
- light-weight at only 4 lbs
- 360 manoeuvrability for air hose connector
- reinforced 4′ air hose
- 9′ DC power cord
There are really no downsides to the Seamax SUP20D aside from the fact that it does not come with a storage bag.CHECK AVAILABILITY / BUY NOW
SereneLife SLPUMP50 Electric SUP Air Pump Compressor
Another high quality and well rated electric pump with the added versatility of being rechargeable.
- digital LCD display screen and control panel
- powered by built-in 12v LI-ION rechargeable battery
- optional integrated 9’8″ car cigarette power cable
- inflation and deflation modes up to 16 PSI
- carry handle for portability
- preset adjustable PSI air pressure functionality
- durable 3’3″ manoeuvrable inflation / deflation air hose
- 7 lbs (note rechargeable battery weight included)
- LED flashlight
- built-in housing access lid for power cable storage
- convenient all-inclusive travel / storage bag
The key downside on the SLPUMP50 is that it only inflates to 16 PSI. This will be sufficient for many boards but some do have recommended inflation ranges up to 20 PSI so a manual pump may be required to top up the air pressure.CHECK AVAILABILITY / BUY NOW
OutdoorMaster Shark SUP Pump
Another well-received product and if looks count for something then in my opinion the Shark SUP Pump is the one.
- automatic cut-off dual stage inflation
- maximum pressure up to 20 PSI
- 3 nozzles / 3 gaskets for multi-valve compatibility
- digital display for preset real time pressure monitoring
- in-built active cooling system preventing over heating
- light-weight at only 3.6 lbs
- digital high pressure sensor accuracy to 0.01 PSI
- touch button controls via LCD display panel
- inflation and deflation modes
- 12 month warranty
- powered by cars cigarette lighter or other 12v DC
- eco-friendly materials and CA65 and CE certified
On the downside, The Shark does not come with a storage / carry bag. It is also not a particularly fast pump and can be noisy but there are otherwise no real cons to speak of.CHECK AVAILABILITY / BUY NOW
Tuomico Max 20PSI High Pressure SUP Pump
While some reviews have challenged the quality of the Tumico Max, it has been widely received as another high quality product that really lacks no features at all.
- real time pressure monitoring LCD display screen
- maximum inflation to 20 PSI
- auto stop dual stage pump
- push button digital pressure controller module
- pump temperature sensor and time counter
- light-weight at 3.3lbs
- 3’6″ durable inflation hose
- 6 piece nozzle set multi-valve compatibility
- outtake chamber for noise reduction
- built-in sand filter for air intake & pump cooling
- one-way diaphragm valve to protect the inflator
- powered by a 12v DC cigarette lighter
- 12 month warranty
- rigorously tested and CA65 and CE certified
Again outside of there being no carry bag, the Tumico Max pretty much has it all.CHECK AVAILABILITY / BUY NOW
STARTSMART Blowfish Digital Electric Air Pump Compressor
Last but certainly not least is the STARTSMART Blowfish electric pump which again features all of the core inclusions that we are looking for in a high quality product.
- dual stage intelligent 12V electric pump
- real time monitoring and auto stop
- maximum inflation to 20 PSI in increments of 0.5 PSI
- digital LCD push button controller module
- in-built pump temperature sensor and time counter
- inflation and deflation modes
- 12V DC car cigarette lighter connector
- 9′ power cord and 360 degree turning 3’5″ nylon hose
- 3.6lbs in weight
- one way diaphragm value
- built-in sand filter for air intake
- fully sealed turbo fan for high volume inflation
- universal HR air valve adapters
The STARTSMART Blowfish is yet another fully kitted out pump but again – no carry bag.CHECK AVAILABILITY / BUY NOW
There are obviously many other paddle board electric pumps on the market which vary in price and quality but these are 5 products that we would recommend that you certainly do not overlook when it comes time to making a purchase.
As always we would love to hear from you so please feel free to leave your comments below and we will get back to you.
Until then, stay safe and get wet.