Paddle Board Deck Bags – Our Top 7
Unless you’re out there for a quick paddle or to perhaps catch a few waves, you will likely have a number of personal items that you need to tuck away while out on the water. You may even be heading off for the day or doing an overnight camping trip so you’ll definitely need to find a home for all of your gear.
While your typical roll top dry bag or waterproof backpack are options, paddle board deck bags are designed with the express purpose of securely attaching to the surface of your board. They vary in style, functionality and size and can be used to store pretty much anything.
If you are looking at buying a deck bag for your SUP its worth giving consideration to the following:
D-rings – does your board have sufficient D-rings (typically a minimum of 4) to safely secure your bag?
Installation – most bags will typically attach to your boards D-rings but some also come with separate suction cups with their own D-ring. Note that you will typically only be able to use these on an Epoxy board as they require a smooth hard surface to securely attach to. If you are using an inflatable board and do not have sufficient D-rings then you will have to store the bag under your bungee cargo net.
SUP not Kayak – some bags are specifically designed to fit kayaks only (measurements, design, contour) so make sure that the bag is capable of fitting your SUP.
Waterproof – depending on what you are carrying, unless you have separate watertight cases or covers, make sure that the bag is waterproof – both the material it is made from as well as the zippers and seals.
Carry Handles – if you intend to carry the bag over longer distances when you are not on the water, does it have a comfortable central carry handle or secure backpack style adjustable shoulder straps? Some do not so definitely worth considering.
Storage / Compartments – some paddle board deck bags are made from mesh or light-weight fabric that is not waterproof or water resistant. Some of these however also have an internal waterproof pouch for your keys, cellphone, wallet etc. Depending on what you are carrying, consider how many compartments the bag has. Do you want a separate lined section for a cooler or food and drinks? Some bags can cater for water bladders with a separate outlet for the water valve. Typically, bags have one main storage section that has a capacity of up to 30 litres. Unless you are doing longer trips, this will typically be sufficient space to carry your cellphone, water bottle, sunscreen, sunglasses and other personal items.
|<< Fancy yourself as a bit of a fisherman. Why not try Stand Up Paddle Board Fishing >>|
With the above in mind, we have selected a handful of different deck bags that represent a nice cross-section of what you can find in the market.’As an Amazon Associate I may earn from Qualifying Purchases’
(1) THURSO SURF SUP Deck Bag
A profile manufacturer of high quality inflatable paddle boards and accessories, THURSO SURF’s paddle board deck bags are a small secure waterproof bag that fits comfortably within your boards bungee system or separately attached by the D-ring carabiner clips.
– water resistant with ultra-thick inner insulation|
– dimensions -14” × 12” × 4”
– side carry handle
– external zipper mesh pocket
– capacity to carry 10 drink cans or equivalent food and ice
– sealed zippers to prevent excessive water ingress
– internal mesh storage pocket
– 4 carabiner style bungee hooks to attach to D-rings
– waterproof pouch for cellphone and personal items
– can be used as a drinks cooler or accessories storage bag
– manufacturers warranty
The QuickDraw deck bag is suitable for canoes, kayaks and SUPs and is fixed to the forward deck of your board via the adjustable straps and D-rings. With a water resistant zipper, removable roll-top dry bag, and bungee lacing, the bags semi-rigid shape allows quick & easy access to small items on the water.
– easy access water resistant main zip
– dimensions – 15″ – 8″ – 4.5″
– 18 oz in weight
– 7 litre capacity
– detachable ultra-light waterproof inner dry bag
– external bungee cord for accessories
– water resistant zipper
– high vis rigid contoured shape for easy visibility
– adjustable attachment straps and D-rings
– PVC tarpaulin construction for water resistance and durability
A simple and easy mess deck bag for when waterproofing your gear isn’t your focus.
– 4 x suction cups (epoxy fibreglass boards only)
– 4 x D-ring carabiner clips
– separate bungee cord
– attaches under existing boards bungee netting on iSUPs
– includes free waterproof cellphone case
– single durable secure zipper
– dimensions – 14″ – 12″
– backed by manufacturers warranty
(4) Gearlab Deck Pod
Winner of the Paddling Magazine Industry Award for the best transport and storage unit, the Gearlab Deck Pod is one of the sleekest SUP storage bags on the market. Suitable for both kayaks and paddle boards, it can hold all of your key essentials including hydration pack with adjustable external side straps.
– large tube opening and see through mesh pocket
– full length heavy-duty side zipper
– sleek low profile design reduces wind resistance
– quick release deck attachment buckles
– carry handle on underside of pod
– made from 450D DWR hydrolysis resistant fabric
– secure internal zip lock pocket
– fits hydration bladder up to 3 litres
– external hydration bladder bite valve opening
– dimensions – 17″ – 10″ – 4″
– external Snag-Free holders for access to safety equipment CHECK AVAILABILITY / BUY NOW
Gecko dry bags are of the highest quality, rigorously tested in the most extreme conditions, and backed with manufacturing guarantees. Made from heavy-duty reinforced materials and suitable for water sports and general outdoor activities, this light-weight waterproof backpack has a capacity to carry up to 30 litres and includes internal pockets and features.
– adjustable dual reinforced nylon straps
– heavy-duty multi-layered waterproof design
– front zip lock accessories pocket
– light-weight 210D polyester coated interior
– roll-top waterproof opening
– interior 8″ x 7″ waterproof accessories pocket
– exterior 9″ x 8″ water resistant pocket
– 30 litre capacity
– 10 oz in weight
– two D-rings for accessories or attaching to your SUP
– available in 6 different colour schemes
Chinook Technical Outdoor are a Canadian outdoors mountaineering, camping and apparel manufacturer. Their AquaWave Deck Bag is made from a highly durable rip stop nylon and features 20 litre capacity and internal compartments. Suitable for kayaks and SUPs it has a large water resistant main compartment and securely attaches to your boards forward D-rings.
– made from durable TPU-coated ripstop nylon
– non-corrosive zippers
– large water-resistant main compartment
– contoured shape with internal stiffener board
– durable water bottle side storage panels
– multi-function outer mesh compartments
– 20 litre storage capacity
– adjustable shoulder carry strap
– 4 D-ring SUP attachment points
– 8-point adjustable front bungee system
– available in two colour schemes
Seattle Sports Co. is a highly reputable outdoors gear company that specialises in a wide range of water sports, camping, travel, cycling and storage apparel and accessories. This simple deck bag is made from a vinyl coating with mesh zip lock opening suitable for your general outdoor accessories.
– 4 x exterior swivel snaphook board lash points
– 14.6 litre capacity
– made from heavy-duty vinyl coated open weave mesh
– submerge in water to keep beverages cool
– durable webbing carry handle
– corrosion resistant zippers
– reflective silver stripe accents
– dimensions – 15.5″ x 11.5″ x 5″
– weighing only 7.2 oz
– available in black or black
The above selection represents a nice cross-section of what you will find in the market. While they all equate to good valve and are from reputable manufacturers, understand what you are after and of course do your research.
We hope you found the above article helpful and as always would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave your comments below and we will get back to you.
Until then, stay safe and get wet.